pinning for easy downgrading

Is there any way to configure apt to install sid pure64 but in such a
way that when sarge will become sufficiently tested and sufficiently
stable and friendly, I can downgrade to it?

Is downgrading in general a doable thing?

I have heard it's supposed to be so unpractical it's not worth it.

Isn't there any way to do it though? Cos running sid can be a little
annoying what with constant upgrading problems with buggy packages,
and having to hold them, etc.

As a side note, I am asking because I had just realized I had
forgotten that my firewall (on my amd64 sid) was not running for a
couple of hours and when I came to, I found all my base files missing.
I can't even do ls, or top or ps or cat or nano or emacs anymore. It
says the files don't exist. I can cd though! Yay!
On the bright side, he seems to have left my home directory thankfully
untouched. So he just wanted to teach me a "lesson"... the sonufa...

So I think this is a reinstall job. Right?

Alex.