Re: Big filesystems.

David Wood wrote:
Just speaking in terms of Linux, did you really have as many problems with the more popular filesystems as the less popular ones?
Yes, I have had them. To be fair, these days, the only times I hear of ext2/ext3 crashing is on older kernels and when someone was doing something they weren't supposed to (like running the HDD full tilt and cutting the power).

So ext2/ext3 seem pretty stable, and when a major bug appears, it seems to be fixed within 24 hours typically (usually by an immediate kernel release).

So yes, the more widely-used ones seem less likely to crash and cause data corruption under "normal" circumstances, these days. Same wasn't true of 2.0/2.2 though ;) I personally haven't had a ext2/ext3 crash in years, but my ext2/ext3 system also tend to not take as much abuse; these days, I use ext3 for /, /usr, /boot and XFS for everything else.

That being said, I don't consider anything but ext2/3 to be widespread enough to apply this to.

YMMV in all this of course, I just wanted to point that every filesystem on every platform I've ever used (production or otherwise) has failed me at one point or another, so taking frequent backups is criticial ;)

Adam