usb/udev/hotplug problem?

Hello,

I'm not sure is this problem is specific to amd64, but I have occassional
problems using my usb memory stick.  Normally, when I plug in the stick,
the device entries /dev/sdc and /dev/sdc1 appear, and then I mount sdc1
to access the stick.  I then reverse the process, and /dev/sdc dissappears as
expected.

However, sometimes, using the same memory stick and usb port,  /dev/sdc appears
but not /dev/sdc1 and I cannot access the stick.
Then, when I remove the stick, /dev/sdc does not go away and the usb ports
are useless untill I reboot.

I am using the latest "sid" versions of all packages.  Any suggestions.

Cheers