Re: /pure64 vs. /gcc-3.4

Stefan Lüthje <stefan+list@luethje.ch> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I read this list since last week. But my question is, which tree I should
> use.
> At the moment I have the /pure64. Make it sense to use the /gcc-3.4?
> If yes, what is the easiest way, to change the distribution.
>
> Best Regards
>
>         Stefan Luethje
>

> --

Pure64 is what will enter sid after sarge and gcc-3.4 might be
discontinued at that point.

To change from pure64 to gcc-3.4 (or vice versa) you just have to
change your /etc/apt-sources.list. "apt-get -d --reinstall" apt
and all libraries it uses and then dpkg -i them. After that reinstall
every package you have installed.

Reason for the manual step is that C++ programs using the libstdc++
from 3.3 _and_ 3.4 at the same time will not work right. If you update
only apt without its libs (or vice versa) you will create this
situation and apt will probably segfault (it did for me).

Alternatively you can install gcc-3.4 directly (untested?) from D-I.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I recommend using pure64.