Re: INIT problems continue

> How are you defining "server"?  What makes you say that a server is
> fine but a desktop isn't?  I usually find server/desktop distinctions
> to be somewhat artificial, so such statements are worrying to me.

I have a Radeon VE and X crashes with and without DRI. I require X for
my desktop functionality, so something, somewhere, is broken. :)

At some point I'm supposed to set up a remote ssh session and gdb the
Xserver, but I haven't had time to do that either. (Buying a house has
been very time-consuming of late).

> At the moment, I'd settle for a semi-stable pure i386 Debian system with
> a 64-bit kernel.

Me too, but I can't get work done w/o X.

> > > I'm still getting, among other things, 'INIT: error reading initrequest'
> > > errors on the console, from just about every /etc/init.d/* script.
> >
> > me too. I never figured that one out.
>
> But it never caused a problem for you?

Other than filling up the syslogs, not that I could tell. I figured it
was some sort of ioctl() issue, but really I've no clue.