Re: Another go at the Abit AV8 Pro 1.1

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 07:46:44 -0800, Ric Otte <ric@otte.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very interested in the experiences you report about your recent
> attempt to install debian on the abit AV8.  I know almost nothing
> about hardware, but wanted to try to build a AND64 box.  I've been
> looking a lot at newegg, and have been planning to order the Abit AV8
> motherboard and 3400+ processor.  You mentioned that it was a package
> sold by newegg, and I was wondering if you simply bought the parts at
> newegg, or if they were packaged together by them.  I couldn't find
> any package listed on their web site, only individual components.

This was a bundle. Look toward the left side of their home age for
"bundle special" under "Shop For"
(http://www.newegg.com/app/combspecial.asp?listtype=bundle) Right now
they list the AMD-3400+, GEIL RAM and MSI Motherboard. I added another
stick of the same kind of RAM.

I'm not sure buying a kit was a smart idea. I don't know if NewEgg
puts together a kit based on what they knows will work or if it is
strictly a marketplace decision. You might get better results hand
picking specific components. I might be inclined to buy (supposedly)
higher quality RAM since that is such a critical component.

> Right now I'm having difficulty figuring out what memory to get for
> the abit av8.  So if newegg packaged a motherboard, processor, and
> memory together, I'd be interested in that.  The AMD website didn't
> really list any recommended memory.  So if you know what type of
> memory you got, I'd appreciate knowing it.

"Geil Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200"

For other choices I would look at what the overclockers are using as
it will have a larger margin for stability even if you don't
overclock.

> Please let me know if you ever succeed in installing Debian on your
> package.  It sounds like you had many more installation woes than I
> ever had installing debian on a i386 box.

It took me a long time to figure out that the ABIT/Award BIOS was
pushing the machine into regions of operation where it was not stable.
After I got that sorted, I did get Debian installed but only had X
with the VESA driver. And even that was not working. I didn't even get
to the point where I checked to see if sound worked. ;)

At that point I decided to give Ubuntu a shot. It installed without
any difficulty and looks very familiar under the covers. This is some
sort of mixed 32/64 bit system since it includes OpenOffice and I
don't know how they've done it. I haven't looked for the sort of
technical resources like I find here and would be surprised to find
the same depth.

By way of comparison, I just installed Sarge (netinst, Debian
Installer) on my old H/W and it was the smoothest Debian install I've
done to date. It even got the serial Mouse Systems mouse and video
(matrox G450) right.

I hope this helps and I'll be happy to answer further questions.

thanks,
hank

--
Beautiful Sunny Winfield