boot problems with upgrading udev

I just did a normal upgrade and ran into a whole
lot of problems after doing the suggested "reboot".

The problem where manifested while trying to load
the "usb" devices.  The boot process stops and
will not continue until ^C or sometimes fails
completely and requires resetting the system.

Checking the BTS, it seems the /etc/udev/rules.d
gets an incorrect symlink if the package hal is also
loaded.  This should really be documented somewhere
or probably in the package documentation.
I found that cleaning out /etc/udev/rules.d
and then linking
   ln -s /etc/udev/udev.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
did the trick for most problems, yet I still have
some boot failures (again while loading usb).

Previously loaded drivers such as network and video
drivers also failed to load automatically.  These
had to be added to the /etc/modules before the system
would boot properly.

Has anybody else run into this also?   My system
still fails to come up cleanly.  Currently I have
to boot into recovery mode and then exit from that
in order to get X to run correctly.  Not exactly
sure why this would matter, but it does.