Re: vmware problem

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 08:45 -0600, A. P. Kennedy wrote:

>  vm> Hi, I just installed kernel-image-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 and
>  vm> kernel-headers-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 from Debian/unstable. I also have
>  vm> gcc 2.95.4 installed and made sure my /usr/bin/gcc was pointing
>  vm> to gcc-2.95.4 (and the same for g++).
>
>  vm> and I download the vmware-any-any-update84.tar.gz
>
>  vm> then I run the runme.pl in the vmware-any-any-update84
>

> Use gcc-3.4, and you need to compile a complete kernel and modules.
> Make sure the new kernel is installed correctly and working. Then
> run "runme.pl". I have never tried to compile kernel modules for
> a packaged kernel, but suspect this will not work. It should work fine
> then. Since I compile the kernel anyway this has never been an issue
> for me. So the question is can one compile a kernel module without
> actually having compiled the kernel? I don't know the answer to this
> question.

The trick to compiling these vendor modules is to install
kernel-tree-2.6.9 or whatever the corresponding package is for your
kernel.  After that's installed you will be able to compile nvidia,
vmware, and other 3rd-party kernel modules.

But you still won't be able to run vmware, on account of nptl.

-jwb