rescue boot.

Greetings x86_64 users.

I'm trying to boot to my x86_64 debian install on /dev/hde11.... I am wanting a simple way to boot from the mini.iso (netboot.img??) or the "debian from scratch" iso or some such image. With the old 32 bit debian rescue floppy, I used to be able to use: rescue root=/dev/hdxx ..... I've tried grub every which way I can think of, but despite what *everybuddy* says about grub, I find it very fussy and annoying to use, .... but I'm unwilling to go back to lilo at this time, other than lilo on a floppy or whatever.

I've tried chroot from suse x86_64 9.1, but I've got some Nvidia/XFree86 weirdness preventing console access....<CTRL-ALT-F!, etc>

Can someone post some steps with one of these boot.cd's or, some other image, to enable me to boot to /dev/hde11?

Thanks,
Chris. W.