Re: the chicken and the egg

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 06:59:11PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install pure64 on a dual 242 with a 3w-9500 RAID card via
> PXE.  The installation runs flawlessly right up to the final reboot into
> the new system.  At this point, the kernel loads but fails to find it's
> root partition. This is expected, of course, as the kernel doesn't have
> the 3w-9xxx driver built in, it's loaded as a module when installing.
>
> I'm presented with a big list of kernels to choose from by the
> installer, do any of these have the 3w-9xxx driver included statically?
> A better question is probably "how do I find out if any of these include
> the driver statically?"
>
> Regards

Martin,

I just installed pure64 on a few machine with 3w-9500 RAID cards. The basic
problem is that the card is not autodetected, so the initrd image doesn't
contain the modules necessary to bring up the root fs.

I fixed it by, at the end of the install, dropping to a console and editing:

/etc/mkinitrd/modules, adding the line '3w-9xxx'

and

/etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf, replacing MODULES=most with MODULES=all

then rebuilt the initrd

mkinitrd -o /boot/myimage.img 2.6.8-3-amd64-k8-smp

then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the boot image for your default
kernel to the 9500-aware image.

reboot and cross your fingers.

good luck,
-Gabe