Re: how to install debian-amd64 (I will buy an a64 soon)

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 11:37:01PM +0200, Fred Marmond wrote:
> Hi,
> I just wonder how difficult it is to have a good system working at home.
> I'll buy athlon64 in few weeks (I hope very next week...).
>
> I'm currently on mandrake on a athlonXP (32bits) at home, but use debian at
> work (i386 too).
>
> 1: how to install AMD64 distrib on the new system (i don't think the MB
> integrated ethernet card will be PXE), but I can store things on the HD, or
> use a floppy, or something...

It likely will have PXE.  At least all the Asus motherboards I have
bought in the last few years have had PXE on the onboard ethernet, and
even on add in 3c905 cards on the A7V board I have it can do PXE
(doesn't actually need a rom on the add in 3com card to do it.  The
system bios has 3com chip support built in.).

> 2: when it will be installed (I hope it can), how much often may I find
> updates? I'm at cooker distrib in mandrake (packages update daily), and in
> testing/unstable at work

Well there are amd64 debian archive packages, so it should be the same
as running any other debian in terms of getting updates.  The frequency
of updates I am not sure of, since I haven't installed the 64bit myself
yet.

> 3: how much mirrors do exist? (I'm in France)
>
> 4: If I want to run 32bits apps, how may I do that?
> I saw things about a ia32libs package, others about chroot, others about a
> multi-arch debian... What the actual state for doing that?
>

> It would be to have all home applications (mp3, dvd, office, ...), development
> (lastest gcc) and intensive 3d (some games, but mainly development uppon
> openGL)
>

> all your suggestions/advises/comments are welcome!
>
> thanks in advance.

Good luck with it.  Whether you go with 32bit with 64bit kernel and
64bit libs to run some 64 bit on mostly 32bit, or pure 64bit, or gcc 3.4
64bit I guess depends on which seems more ready for you.