Re: "Trivial Question" - 32bit vs. 64bit vs. 32/64bit

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 09:56:39AM +0200, Hendrik Tews wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to raise other trivial questions for which I cannot
> find answers in the AMD64 HOWTO or via google:
>
> - What does pure64 mean? When do I want pure64?

pure64 is the name that was given to the native recompile of Debian for
amd64 without using the lib64 directories specified in the LSB, which
would have caused a lot of work to have been done. Instead of doing this
extra work some people decided to solve the problem in a better generic
way that all archs can benefit from which is called multiarch.

> - Same for biarch, what does it mean, when do I want it?

biarch has turned into multiarch which is the work on getting multiple
archs libs installed at the same time. You will for example be able to
have:

/usr/lib/i386-linux/libvorbis.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux/libvorbis.so.1.0.0

on the same system and have it work right. However, this support will not
be finished before sarge and will likely be in the sarge+1 release,
since it requires modified gcc/glibc/binutils and package modifications
to every library package. This work is intended to be rolled back into
FHS/LSB at some future time, if Rusty likes it enough (I guess?).

Chris Cheney