Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:31:56AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > There's nothing stopping you from installing and running wanna-build on
> > your own system.  Which is what I used to do with Alpha, before there
> > was an official wanna-build, and what I do now with NetBSD-i386, which
> > is not yet an in-tree arch.
>
> Err, how do you get access to newly uploaded sources?  I'm still pretty
> much in the dark about how these systems work, I'm afraid.

Here's how it works.

You start with a Packages file for your arch and a generic Sources file
from the official repository for sid (or whatever).

Then, you run quinn-diff (that's a regular Debian package), which is a
program that will say what packages exist in Sources but are either
outdated or non-existant on your arch.

The autobuilder takes this and thus knows what it is that needs to be
built.

Built .debs get uploaded.

Tomorrow, you apt-get update and get the new Packages and Sources file,
and repeat the cycle.

This is an oversimplification in some areas, but is a good general
picture of how things work.

The autobuilder also has ways of tracking failures; for instance, it can
be told that a given package failed because a build-dep could not be
met, and it won't try to build that package again until the build-dep is
present.  Excepting that, it will in general build a particular version
of a package only once (it records what failed before and won't try it
again until a new version appears).

-- John