Re: chroot, sarge and biarch

Oliver Zimmermann <oz@bluemonk.de> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > You should start of with woody since sarge has a too new glibc.
>

> Yes, I'am running woody now, with a "biarch-compiled" Kernel 2.4.24.
>
> >>Is there an existing option in apt-get or dpkg, to force the reinstall
> >>of the alioth-version over the original sarge packages? ...in other
> >>words to replace libc6, libc6-dev, gcc-3.3, libncurses5-dev, wget and
> >>bzip2 with the biarch versions?
> > apt-get install --reinstall
>

> Ok, that is a way of "force". But then I have the problem, that many
> essential debs, which depend on original (newer) sarge debs will be
> removed. I guess I will run sarge on a 32bit-2.6.x, until better
> versioning according your plans comes up.

Thats why I said use woody. The allways incompatible glibc updates
realy suck.

If you have a 64bit kernel and sarge-i386 you can run "cdebootstrap -a
amd64 /chroot sarge http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/"; to make a
working 32/64 bit system.

Once a newer biarch glibc compiles and works installing packages from
sarge will be possible again too.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Does sarge df work under a recent (2.6?) 64bit kernel now?