Re: Proposal to avoid file overlaps

Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > Since /usr/share must be shareable between archs a link won't break
> > anything unless the different abis use different versions. I'm not
> > sure if that should be permitted.
>
> Since the content should be identical, why not just keep the contents
> of the one which was installed first and ignore the later ones (maybe
> erroring out ifthey in fact differ)?

When you purge the first one the files would disapear.
I also guess the files will nearly allways be different due to gzip
timestamps in any compressed file.

dpkg could add an automatic diversion to the files or something to
keep both versions.

For now I just keep ignoring the overwrite warnings.

MfG
        Goswin