Re: Ideas about the lib / lib64 names, subarchs, porting guidelines [Re: irc brainstorming notes]

* Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> [031210 01:36]:
> > Ideally I think this too could be handled by autoconf.  configure
> > --build and --conf options should be sufficient to let configure pick
> > the right compiler.  We may have to setup symlinks/wrappers to support
> > 'linux-${arch}-gcc' and so on.
> >
> > I would like for gcc to build for the architecture specified by uname -m
> > by default.  It would be nice if that was done right in gcc and not a
> > wrapper, as it is hacked to do now.
> >
> > B.
>
> A -mcpu=host would be real great. The problem is that that would
> require runtime checks otherwise if you compile gcc on i686 it would
> break on i386.

I don't understand.  Using subarchtable, you cannot install an _i686.deb
on an i386 host (unless you --force it).

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/