Re: [BUG] 4.9.0 build error on Alpha

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:23:04PM -0500, Matt Turner wrote:
> FWIW, when I saw your first email I tried compiling with gcc-4.9.4,
> 5.4.0, and 6.2.0. All compiled my config fine.

That's worth quite a bit to me, actually :-).  Tells me that downgrading
my toolchain is probably a waste of time and effort.

> I'm guessing it's another symptom of the old "kernel too big" problem?

How has this been worked around in the past?  I have a fairly
feature-full kernel, but the only built-in drivers are for the things
that have to be present at boot time.

If drivers compiled as modules contribute to the bloat, I could easily
omit file system support for things I'll likely never see attached to an
alpha.  Similarly, drivers for removable USB devices I don't currently use
with the system could be omitted as well.  Netfilter keeps growing like
the hairball it is: features I'm not likely to ever use could be disabled
if that might help.

--Bob