gdm deprecated?

I've reached an impasse as far as being able to apply further updates to
my Debian unstable system.  Not sure if there are any updates planned
for "gdm3", but all of the pending (held back) gnome updates seem to
require removal of "gdm3".  I note the availability of a gdm
compatibility package (kdm-gdmcompat) for systems that have kdm installed,
but the way forward isn't clear...

If a compatible update of "gdm3" is in the works but simply hasn't made
it through the build queue yet, kindly drop me a line when it's
available.  I've gone ahead and removed "gdm3" for now, so I won't
automatically pick up the update when it appears.

Thanks.
--Bob