Re: [BUG] libgcc1 1:4.5.3-8

Hi Bob,

On 8/09/2011, at 9:30 AM, Bob Tracy wrote:
On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 07:39:47AM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
On 08/09/11 04:39, Bob Tracy wrote:
(...) "libgcc_s.so --> libgcc_s.so.1" symlink (missing).  (...)

Indeed.  You need to update libc and gcc.
(...)
Make sure that you have libc6.1,
libc-bin, etc., at version 2.13-18, gcc-4.4 at 4.4.6-10, binutils at
2.21.53.20110823-3.

In the process of discovering this, had you noticed another annoyance
with the build system on Alpha where dependencies on "-lm" weren't being
handled (presumably by "autoconf" and friends)?

It's good to see you giving this all a go! We need more people who are prepared to get their hands dirty and start trying out the unstable alpha distribution and make reports on how it is going.

I hadn't seen the -lm issue. Have you seen it since upgrading your toolchain? You may need to upgrade other packages (such as autoconf, automake and friends) specifically as they may not have been upgraded as part of build-essential. If you have python installed then also run 'apt-get install python2.6' to enable a lot more packages to be upgraded.

Also if you could point out any specific packages in the 'build- attempted' list on buildd.debian-ports.org that fail in this regard that would be helpful. I have noticed the occasional FTBFS due to autoconf issues but not the particular one you mention.

Cheers
Michael.