Re: current status of alpha in squeeze

On 03-28 21:11, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 24/03/11 20:17, Robert Garron wrote:
> >I just found out that alpha was dropped from squeeze >
> [snip]
> >; and it seems that a few other alpha enthusiasts are willing also
>
> I'm prepared to pitch in and help.  I am not a Debian Developer, but
> I have over the last two or three years stepped up to provide Alpha
> architecture support to the kernel (which is in better shape now
> than when Squeeze was frozen) and helped to get the Xserver running
> again on BWX capable Alphas.
>
> I would be keen to see another Debian Alpha release so count me in.
> I see also that Witold Baryluk in another very recent message has
> also offered substantial support.

Thanks.

I have now running:

  a) Two (2) working, running and connected to internet XP1000 (EV6, 21264A, 500MHz),
    with 1GB RAM, and 4x9GB in RAID0 in each. They also have additional single IDE
    drive, but considering DMA problems on XP1000, it is pretty slow in PIO mode
    (but no so bad as I noramally expected, given normal PC performance in PIO mode).

  b) Eight other (8) other XP1000, some of them do not have RAM,
    or disks, or have some malfunctions. I think I still can merge somehow them,
    to produce one or two working XP1000 with 1GB each, and one or two harddisk.

  c) One (1) working 433au (+9GB SCSI, and 256MB RAM(, which will probably sell quickly :)

  d) One (1) not yet unidenified AlphaServer. But I will assume is is dual EV6.

I will put one of a) as a server, and do main porting stuff there. Second of a),
will be as a terminal (XDCP, firefox, openoffice), so I will also test more
software. I would like to make one of this a), a buildd, if needed.
If I will finish b), I will actually have three XP1000, two as a servers,
and one as a workstation. So I can offer access to them after some arrangment.
One of this XP1000 (this for server), i already have everything running
in clean environment, and can offer it for any function You want.
(I have also fast local alpha+source+i386+amd64 mirror in a network).

I already stated in other e-mail, what I will do:
  * try running 2.6.38, both from sid, and hand compiled.
  * try various compilers, and fix problems if any.
  * i'm looking into zdump -v, problem now, and will report in few days.
  * i also compiler gcc-4.6, with full regression testing.
  * i would also to run gcc-4.5 from sid, and check if it already performs
    check testing, and if not (some architectures have checks disabled due
    to the time it takes), build it on my machine with full check testing.
  * later look at llvm, ldc, and gdc (D compilers).
  * and other stuff i will incidently encounter.

I'm also currently configuring schroot with lenny and sid,
and test if I work there in this scroots, without destrupting
lenny installation on this machines.  (I still wait for libc6.1 from
experimental to arive in sid/testing, so can upgrade more painlessly).

Regards,
Witek

--
Witold Baryluk