FTBFS on alpha - relocation truncated to fit: GPREL16 against symbol

I'd really like to get some help figuring out if this is a toolchain bug or
something I can remedy on my end to fix
https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=scribus-ng;ver=1.3.5.dfsg%2Bsvn20091216-2;arch=alpha;stamp=1261076779

I see that Kurt Roeckx already cc-ed a message to this list when he was
discussing #561418, but I'd to say that I'd be happy to assist however I can
as well. I sent a message to debian admin asking for scribus-ng build-depends
on an alpha host 'albeniz' in case I need to play with ld to get scribus to
link of alpha.

Regards,

Alex.