Re: /debian/dists/testing/Contents-alpha* missing

Bob Tracy wrote:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 04:50:29PM +0100, Uwe Schindler wrote:
But unstable should still work? Or is it even broken therefore? :/

"Unstable" still works: thanks for the reminder.

Unstable may still be there for alpha, but I don't think any new binary packages have been built since the start of the week.

 However, Alpha users
will, of necessity, have to get a bit more involved in troubleshooting
and/or fixing problems.

Yes, that's why I have recently tried to get a bit more involved in sorting out the X Window problems, and now am working on some kernel issues. But I really don't have the time to become a Debian Alpha porter which is what I think is really needed if we are to score another official Alpha release.

I guess the remaining question is, at what point do the porters quit
producing Alpha binary packages?

At the moment it appears Alpha binary packages are not being built.

 Building from source is always an
option, and I've had to do a fair amount of that recently to get X11
working.

Yes. In working on the kernel performance tools I discovered I needed the binutils-dev package and had to build it from source, including some of its dependencies. A 2 hour job for what use to take 2 mins...

Cheers
Michael.