Re: X11 server on alpha -- update

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 09:23:25AM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> (...)  There is an x86 emulator in the Xserver and it can read
> and use the video BIOS. On my Radeon 9200 the int10 code loads fine
> and I get the message:
>
> (II) RADEON(0): Legacy BIOS detected
>
> The Xserver can now POST video cards that the SRM fails to POST, and
> with the most recent kernels with KMS I presume even the kernel can
> POST Radeon cards that the SRM fails to POST (though I haven't tested
> that yet).

Well, completely eliminating xorg.conf and letting the server
auto-detect everything worked better than expected, but I still don't
have a working setup.  Examining the logfile, the server correctly finds
XRANDR outputs VGA-0, DVI-0, and S-video.  It can't find anything
connected to any of the outputs, so it sensibly (?) defaults to VGA-0.
Unfortunately, my monitor is connected to the DVI output.

I tried the following in xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Radeon 7500 QW"
	Driver          "radeon"
	BusID           "PCI:0:12:0"
	Option		"Monitor-DVI-0"	"Hennessy Generic 15"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier      "Hennessy Generic 15"
	Option          "DPMS"
	HorizSync	31.5-57.0
	VertRefresh	50.0-70.0
	Option		"Enable"	"true"
EndSection

but I'm still not getting a signal on the DVI connector: the monitor
powers down shortly after starting the X server.  Also, the logfile
is indicating that the server is still trying to use the VGA-0 output
as well as the explicitly-enabled DVI-0 output.  Worse, all the defined
video modes seemed to be mapped to the VGA-0 output.

(...)
(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 enabled by config file
(II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 enabled by config file
(II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
(II) RADEON(0): Using user preference for initial modes
(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using initial mode 1024x768
(EE) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 enabled but has no modes
(II) RADEON(0): Using default gamma of (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) unless otherwise
stated.
(==) RADEON(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
(...)

I suppose I could punt and move the monitor to the VGA output (and I
probably will just to see if that will work), but there should be a way
to force the desired behavior.  Any ideas?

--Bob