Re: The State of Alpha Linux

Steve Langasek wrote:
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 02:23:39PM +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:
Matt Turner wrote:
The State of Alpha Linux

We're all subscribed to this list because we use a dying platform.

You think it's dying? :-P

Well, at least the Debian alpha port is not likely to continue past the
upcoming lenny release; see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2008/08/msg00004.html ff.

Yes, yes... I was joking. Of course. We all don't know if there will be any distribution for Alpha in 3 years. But I try to continue my work with Fedora/Alpha as good as I can. If the machines go south, I'm not really willing to replace it with new ones, except someone has some machines to give away...

And the hardware itself is EOLed.  So even if you think it's not dying, it's
not exactly a "living" port either. :)

Yes. The h/w is no longer produced...

[ ... ]

I don't speak for other Debian Alpha folks here, though; perhaps there are
still some around willing to do the work necessary to keep alpha going.

It might be wise to still support a base OS, without the X gimmicks...

-of