Re: lenny+1 and the future of the alpha port?

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 11:28 +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 21 Aug 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> > Are there other developers still actively using alpha who are willing to do
> > the work to maintain it?  Or perhaps a more important question:  does anyone
> > foresee themselves still using alpha three years from now (1.5 years of
> > lenny as stable, + 1 year of security support as oldstable)?
>
> I still use an alpha as firewall / mailserver / DNS server,
> taking the way of security through obscure hardware :-)
> Any stack overflows or whatever will probably not have any example
> exploit code available for alpha's, as hardly anyone knows any
> significant amount of alpha machine code...

I have an Alphastation 600AU here. Amazing little box (600mhz, 1gb+ram,
15,000RPM drives). I'll be sad to no longer have use for it.

> That said, I'm in agreement with you about how alpha is becoming
> obsolete, which I find a bit sad somehow; it had great potential.

It did, its lack of future is no fault of Steve (of course other Alpha
porters...) and the Debian Project.

> In my opinion it's safe to say that certainly three years from now,
> alpha can be considered irrelevant, and continued support will indeed be
> a waste of resources. If I still want my alpha firewall (assuming it
> survives that long) I could build any packages myself, and I expect that
> most people using alphas at that time would be in the same position.

Lacking the skills to help out, i wont be standing forward to help
support Alpha. As such, I'm not in a position to critisise if (when?)
support is dropped.
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor