Re: Problem installing debian on alpha personal workstation

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 03:30:43PM +0200, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> But old and small ones like a 64 or 128 MB one without the e.g. Xtreme
> labels from Sandisk, I have here, do not support DMA. You only need space
> for /boot which is kernel, initrd and aboot.

Quite a few I have dealt with do have DMA.  Short if checking it with
hdparm when connected by IDE, it is often hard to find out.

> You wrote: "If you disable DMA access to the HD (I forget exactly how I did
> that when I installed mine), then it works fine." -- so there may be a way
> to disable it.

Yes there is, but if you find a CF card without DMA at all then there
won't be anything to worry about which is rather handy.

--
Len Sorensen