RE: Change the order of scsi Controller

Hi Steffen,

as Etch uses udev for managing hardware, why not use symbolic names for your
partitions (based on the file system label)? This works even in initrd, if
you use initramfstools, it does not work with yaird!

On my Alphastation I have the following kernel bootlines in aboot.conf:

thetaphi@alpha:/boot$ cat etc/aboot.conf
#
# aboot default configurations
#
0:2/vmlinuz ro initrd=/initrd.img root=LABEL=root
1:2/vmlinuz.old ro initrd=/initrd.img.old root=LABEL=root

And the following fstab:
thetaphi@alpha:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
LABEL=root      /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       0
LABEL=boot      /boot           ext2    defaults,noatime,nodiratime   0    0
LABEL=var       /var            ext3    defaults        0       0
LABEL=home      /home           ext3    defaults        0   0
LABEL=swap      none            swap    sw              0       0

The labels were assigned to all partitions e2label and for swap by mkswap.
That was it. Works stable and I can change my hardware configuration
whatever I like (because sometimes the order changes with every reboot when
parallel searching for new devices is enabled).

I use this style for all my machines (not only the alpha one).

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de