Re: S3 Trio64 support

On 11/4/07, Gianluca Bonetti <gl@decadence.it> wrote:
> You should use s3 driver, s3virge driver is for S3 Virge, not S3 Trio.
> Xorg -configure will create automagically a file for your needs.
> If it doesn't work with that file, then it is either a bug in the
> driver, or an unsupported card (strange, but could be)

Your suggested configuration method 'Xorg -configure' does in fact
select the s3 driver, so that seems to be correct. I pulled the card
out to look at it, and the S3 chip in it is 86C764X, that is Trio64
Plug and Play. Perhaps that is the issue, it needs to be configured by
plug and play in some way that is not happening in Linux. I rechecked
to make sure I have the correct scan ranges for the monitor, and
checked the chips on the card to make sure I have the correct RAM
size, which I do.

When I run X, it gives one error message, "V_BIOS not found", but it
does continue to run. Unfortunately it just produces a colorful
pattern on the screen, nothing coherent or meaningful. When X is
killed (the keyboard CTRL-ALT-BS doesn't work, by the way) the pattern
remains on the screen, so the s3 driver is initializing the card in
some way, just not the proper one.

> Of course it doesn't need niether a kernel recompinling nor a setup
> from install CD.
> You only have to delete the console redirection setting in aboot.conf,
> simply delete a setting like "console=ttyS1,115200" from the kernel
> line.

I thought that too, but aboot.conf doesn't have any console
specification included. I checked my theory by connecting a laptop to
the serial port, though, and it seems I was right that the console is
switching to the serial port when init mode 2 completes. The monitor
screen simply stops updating at that point and is frozen. It doesn't
blank or anything. The keyboard goes dead. The laptop then receives
the login message and prompt. If I log in from the laptop and shut the
system down, console messages then go to the laptop until the halt,
when control is transferred to SRM and the SRM messages appear again
on the monitor attached to the system. It's very strange to me.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

--Gary