Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

I was trying to boot 2.6.23-rc1 a few weeks ago. Asked about the newer binutils - thought that may have been the reason it failing.

Glad you hit the kml instead and found an answer (and glad I wasn't the only person seeing a problem with the 2.6.23-rcX series).
It wasn't a binutils issue, but that the stock aboot is misguided.

I'd also be willing to test a patched aboot.

...tom

Bob Tracy wrote:
I originally posted to linux-kernel w.r.t. 2.6.23-rcX not booting:
Unfortunately, I can't say where the bug was introduced, as this is
the first kernel I've tried on my Alpha since 2.6.22-rc7.  Best guess
is somewhere between .23-rc1 and .23-rc2, based on changes to files in
arch/alpha/boot in that patch set.  The problem happens early: aboot
starts to load vmlinux.gz, and I get an "unzip: invalid exec header"
error.  There's an earlier error from aboot I can't quote exactly, but
the template from aboot (bootlx) is:

aboot: Can't load kernel.
  Memory at %lx - %lx (chunk %i) is %s

The first %lx is 0.  The last %lx is all "f"s.  The chunk
number is 1, and I *think* the %s is "busy".

The posted reply was:
try http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/14/259

As it turns out, the problem was actually introduced with 2.6.23-rc1:
2.6.22 works fine.

The l-k people say aboot needs a patch.  Question to Steve L. et al: is
a patch in the works?  Would you like a motivated tester? :-)  The patch
supplied at the above URL doesn't apply cleanly to the current Debian
aboot-0.9b-3 source tree.