Re: Changing video cards in alphaworkstations

On 3/02/2007, at 2:45 AM, Jay Estabrook wrote:
Karl Goetz wrote:

Could i take any PCI video card and put it in a Digital Workstation
600AU?

You don't have to pull a card from another AlphaStation; there are a
number of PCI VGA cards that should work in that box.

First thing to remember, for PWS/MIATA, is to do the following under
SRM:

	>>> set pci_device_override -1

Right, having seen this message I wee while ago I thought I'd try it out, and now I have had a chance. Running etch on a PWS600au. As I have mentioned before, the tga video (this is a 24bit colour card) doesn't work too well with the new X.org, whereas the Radeon 7200 I have borrowed works well with X, but screws up the virtual text consoles so that they are unreadable.

So thought I'd now try a Radeon 9250. SRM packed a sad and the machine didn't even boot. So I have tried setting the pci_device_override variable as suggested above. Doesn't help. With the console set to serial I get the following output:

ff.fe.fd.fc.fb.fa.f9.f8.f7.f6.f5.CPU 0 speed is 1.67 ns (599MHz)

ef.ee.ed.

and then the machine hangs. Presumably those hex numbers indicate certain hardware checks?

Finally, here's a short list of "recent" VGA cards that work fine in
Alphas;

ATI Rage128 and most flavors of Radeon (7000/7200/7500/9100/9200/9250)

Ha ha. Very funny. Not the 9250 on my PWS600au. Doesn't boot, even with the pci override variable set as recommended above. And the 7200 (with x.org 7.1) screws up the virtual text consoles.

Looks like I might have to return this machine back to sarge with the old tga card ...

Michael.