Re: debootstrap install with etch

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 01:09:10AM -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>    This has got to be the most problematic install I've ever had, I
> think. I have no idea how many times I've had to reboot to the "good"
> install on the internal scsi drive to try to fix something on the
> debootstrap install on the external drive. The docs at
> http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/alpha/apds03.html.en#id2549076 gave
> as their final instruction to run "tasksel install standard" for a more
> complete system, which I did. Wish I hadn't. One thing it did was to
> totally overwrite my /etc/fstab file with totally erroneus drive mapping

That doesn't make any sense, frankly.  Nothing should ever overwrite
/etc/fstab, and certainly nothing should do so after you've already done a
base install with debootstrap.

>    But now it still boots weird -- the main screen, whether I do a
> serial console boot or a regular tga console boot, never shows the total
> boot -- that is, you never get a login prompt. I thought for awhile that
> the boot was totally failing, but then saw in my server logs that it was
> getting an IP, so tried to ssh into it, and it seems like it's all
> booted and running normally -- just no console at all.

I'd guess this is a result of debootstrap not setting up /etc/inittab for
you; and possibly other bits of system config that are handled by the
installer, not by debootstrap.  debootstrap will give you all the packages
from the base system, but there is no longer a base-config package to do
base configuration, so certain things like /etc/inittab, /etc/fstab,
/etc/networking are going to be unconfigured at the end of debootstrap and
need to be set up by hand.