Re: Successfull Etch install on a Multia

Duncan Kennington wrote:
> On 01/03/07, Ted S. Letofsky <tletofsky@netechnica.com> wrote:
>
>> After months of not touching it, seeing the listserve alive with content
>> regarding the Multia has caused me to pull mine back out and attempt a
>> clean boot and install of my own.
>
> Motivation for me also!
>
>> I continue to have issues that I saw a while ago.
>>
>> When I reach the point where aboot starts, the machine hangs at the
>> following.
>> "aboot: starting kernel boot/vmlinuz with arguements ramdisk_size=16384
>> root=/dev/ram devfs=mount,dall"
>>
>> the version of SRM I am running is BL5 V3.8-3 Aug 10 1995
>
> I had the same problem, but listened and watched and eventually saw
> the keyboard lights flash and heard the HDD being accessed.  I think
> it's been mentioned in other threads, but not clearly, but if you get
> this far, it IS booting, but you can't see it, because the install
> kernel doesn't support TGA framebufffer for console.

   It does now with etch -- I've done it both ways.

> I had to rustle up a null modem cable and ran

> Where dka400 is my CDROM with the etch-netinst.iso.  Flags 1 puts the
> console on ttyS0, at 9600,N81.

   That's amazing you got a complete install from the netinst.iso --- I
wonder what the difference is between that and the netboot install. I
tried the netboot over and over until Marc posted about the ethernet
driver problem, and then looking at the syslog I saw that was what was
happening with mine -- the multia lost it's net connection right after
downloading the base packages and couldn't pick it up again. I finally
installed it from a full CD install and manually loaded the de4x5 driver.

--
Harmon Seaver