Re: Xorg 7 fixed on alpha

Michael Cree wrote:
> I've finally got around to trying it out.  A PWS600AU with its
> original DEC supplied video card that uses the tga2 driver.
> (...)
> 1) Are there known issues with the tga2 driver/cards and xorg 7.1 ?

None seen here.  I've got a 433au that only recently saw its tga2
replaced with a Radeon 7500, and Xorg 7.1 was key to making that
happen after more than half a year of Xorg-7.X+ati being broken.
You may safely assume I made sure everything was working correctly
with my old tga2 standby before I spent more time beating my head
against the wall with the Radeon :-).

As far as tga2 setup in the xorg.conf file, my card "Device" section
looked like this:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Digital PBXGB-AA"
	Driver		"tga"
	BusID		"PCI:0:12:0"
EndSection

Specifying the BusID was absolutely necessary, and make sure you use
the correct value for your particular setup.  Other "gotchas" I seem
to remember:

(1) Make sure the rotary switch on the tga2 is set to the video mode
    you intend to run.
(2) You may have to tweak the monitor section HorizSync and VertRefresh
    rates to force selection of the appropriate video mode by the tga
    driver.  I was running the card at 1024x768, so
    { HorizSync, VertRefresh } == { 31.5-57.0, 50.0-70.0 } worked
    well for me with a generic 15" monitor.
(3) You've only got 8 bits of depth at 1024x768, so how well
    applications share colors becomes a serious issue.  For me, Gnome
    worked well, but KDE was ugly as sin.

Hope this helps!

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com