Re: apt and kernel updates

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 11:34:45AM -0400, Tyson Whitehead wrote:

> Aboot looks for the file "[partition]/etc/aboot.conf" (where parition is
> hardcoded into it and can be viewed and set via the "abootconf" program) to
> tell it what kernel and initrd image to load.  I'm guessing you /boot is on a
> seperate parition, so the file to have a look at is "/boot/etc/aboot.conf"
> (if it's the same as your root, then the file would be "/etc/aboot.conf").
>
> It will have a bunch of lines to the effect of:
>
> [flag]:[partition]/<kernel image> initrd=/<initrd image>
>
> were flag and parition are numbers.  Your run a command in SRM such as "boot
> dkc0 -fl 0" (you can automate this by setting appropriate SRM variables)
> which loads aboot off of dkc0 and passes it the flag 0.  Then aboot loads the
> kernel and initrd image that match that flag 0 in the "aboot.conf" file.
>
> The only thing to really be aware of is that the paths are all relative to the
> root of the parition specified in the "aboot.conf" file.  So if /boot is on
> its own partition, and that parition is the first parition, you should have
> lines like:
>
> 0:1/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.img
> 1:1/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-alpha-smp initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-alpha-smp
> 2:1/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-alpha-generic initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-alpha-generic
>
> The first one boots the latest kernel you have installed (installing a kernel
> changes the vmlinuz and initrd.img links to point to it).
>
> Later!  -T

yes, thanks that works well enough :-)

the only real problem is that smp kernel fails to boot with a ton of symbol errors
and cannot find sda3. there is a /lib/modules directory for the smp kernel. i wonder
if the smp kernel has left out the driver (symbios drive) for the scsi card?

its a good thing you cautioned me to leave a directive to the old kernel :)

-- michael