Re: updated kernels / miata sound

Tyson Whitehead wrote:
> What do you get if you load the
> patched "snd-es18xx" driver using only "isapnp=0"?

I suspect if I don't tell the module about the 16-bit DMA channel, I'll
get the same results you did.  Haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense
that "snd-es18xx" would probably work ok in half-duplex mode: see below.

> The code for the "snd-es18xx" seems to indicate the second DMA is somewhat
> broken anyway...

This is consistent with observations: "snd-sb8" works just fine because
it has no full-duplex capability and no way to specify a 16-bit DMA
channel.

On your 2.6.16 images:
> The
> patched "snd-es18xx" works for me.  However, 2.6.16 gives me the inconsistent
> page stuff when "aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav" finishes for both
> eh "snd-es18xx" and the "snd-sb8" drivers.

Sounds like we have two separate ALSA issues, and the lesser of the two
IMO is the broken 16-bit DMA support in "snd-es18xx" (because it is a
known problem and can be worked around by running the card in half-
duplex mode ala "snd-sb8").  The "bad page state" errors are a relatively
recent addition to the list of broken things, first showing up somewhere
between 2.6.14 and 2.6.16.  I've got the stock Debian 2.6.15 kernel (alpha
generic) loaded, and I'll see if the bad page state problem exists there:
need to try to narrow this down a bit.

In the meantime, if you want full-duplex operation, the OSS "sb" driver
seems to be the only working option.

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com