XP1000 bcache soldering question :)

first of all thanks to all those who answered to my diagnostic led question!
I've got hold of another Compaq XP1000 daughterboard with a 500Mhz
CPU which boots in my old machine - but the CPU runs extremely unstable
and basically seems gone (same behaviour in the other machine).
So now a have a (hopefully) working 667MHz CPU on one board, a
working bcache on the other and a soldering iron - is it possible? Ever been
done before? Which chip is it anyway?
Or is it possible to just disable the bcache like in those alphas who had a
separate module for it?
I love that machine and don't want to loose it...

- bjoern