NSF and compiling kernel

   Since I don't have enough drive space on my multia, I nfs mounted the
space from my debian intel box, downloaded the kernel source, and tried
to run make menuconfig. I've got the nsf mount "rw" both on the intel
end and on the multia end, but it still won't let me delete files or
make links. Here's my /etc/exports file:
# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
exported
#               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
/xtra/scuz/src  192.168.2.100 (rw,no_root_squash)
/media/cdrom0   192.168.2 (ro)

     It's been quite awhile since I've played with nfs, but this should
work, AFAIR.  And I know I used to do nfs between our Suns and linux
boxes. Any clues?