Re: bzip2 unaligned trap

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:

Unless they're running a fully ppc64 system (which is contraindicated by kernel and glibc upstream), they're not going to get the same unaligned traps on ppc as on alpha.

See:

	arch/ppc/traps.c AlignmentException -> fix_alignment()
	arch/ppc/align.c -> fix_alignment

Seems at least several models of PPC (all?) do trap on unaligned access, the kernel just doesn't complain as it does on Alpha.

Anyway, I've never seen trap-related errors from ppc; the other arch that tends to generate these a lot is ia64, which rivals sparc for least-efficient fix-ups.

Nah, AIUI, it's (at best) inefficient on /all/ the common linux architectures, including x86 (trap and fix is done in microcode now, one presumes). On other systems which refuse to fixup, it's fatal.

So for code not intended to be portable beyond Linux, or beyond x86 OSes, it's a performance problem.

For portable code, properly aligned access is *required*.

It's a user-space software problem whichever way you look at it.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: