Re: trying to run em86: getdents ?

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 04:15:47PM -0500, James D. Freels wrote:
> I have an x86 application I am going to try to run under the alpha.  I
> could not find a debian package, so I downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/em86/
> and used alien to convert to a .deb and installed (actually I also tried
> to build the source and no luck there either)

> I get the following error to the console when trying to
> execute /usr/bin/em86

> Any idea how to correct this ?

> em86: relocation error: em86: undefined symbol: __getdents

That means the em86 binary is incorrectly linked with references to internal
symbols from an old version of glibc.  You will probably need to grab a copy
of glibc 2.0 and run LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/old/libc.so.6 em86 to get this to
work.

I'd be interested to know if you do manage to get those old binaries to run
on a current system.  If you really can make them work, it'd be interesting
to have em86 as a multiarch target for alpha... :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer