Re: New Installer & ReiserFS

Tyson,

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:02:33PM -0500, Tyson Whitehead wrote:
> I just finished trying the new installer (from unstable).  Works great --
> except it won't let me do an installation to ReiserFS (I wound up moving the
> results over to ReiserFS with tar once the installation completed -- what a
> pain)!  Spent a day digging around and finally came across the reason in bug
> report 251083:

> > reassign -1 linux-kernel-di-alpha
> > retitle -1 dont provide reiserfs modules
> > thanks

> > * Helge Kreutzmann <kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de> [2004-05-26 18:15]:

> > > In generally the consensus seems that Reiser should be avoided on
> > > alpha (at least on rh-axp and debian-alpha), for any partition.

> > In this case, no reiserfs modules should be provided for alpha.
> > (Maybe the same goes for XFS.)

> I must say I would very much disagree and would like to see this reversed!

> I did have some problems with kernel 2.4.18 when I first installed it (nearly
> two years ago), but have been using it exclusively ever since on about five
> Alpha boxes (with various 2.4.18+ and 2.6.x kernel versions) and have had
> absolutely no problem at all.

> Could others please share their (semi recent) experiences?

We're too far into the sarge release cycle for this decision to be reversed
by a mere show of hands.  If you think that reiserfs is indeed stable on
alpha, please forward me some sort of documentation of when and how the
previous issues were fixed.  You may wish to coordinate with Helge (who I
believe follows this list), to pin down when and where the original
impression of brokenness came from.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer