Re: kernel-image-2.6.6-1-generic problems

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:40:05PM -0400, Rob Dupcak wrote:
> Last night I tried to install kernel-image-2.6.6-1-generic, but ran into
> two problems...

> 1) While installing (apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.6-1-generic), I
> saw a handful of unaligned trap errors from depmod.  However everything
> completed just fine after that.  (As far as I know).  Is this even a
> problem?

> 2) While booting, I got a message such as "RAMDISK too large!", then it
> couldn't mount a root filesystem and then panic'ed.

> I had this last problem with 2.6.5-1-generic too.

> Any suggestions for what I'm screwing up?  Or how I can resolve the
> problems?

If the libc problem isn't it, you may simply need to increase your
allowed initrd size on the kernel commandline.  This can be done with
the ramdisk_size=xxxxx option in your /etc/aboot.conf.

> Should I just stick with the kernel images at:
> http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/fixed-alpha-kernels/ ?

> This is on an LX164 system.

You may find that these kernels are necessary anyway on an LX164 system,
but this is unrelated to the problem you're currently fighting with.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer