Re: kernel-image packages for alpha in need of testing

Hello,
On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 04:18:47PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Sorry for wasting your bandwidth on the broken iso.  I'll post again as
> > soon as I have 2.4.26 working in d-i.
>
> The busybox maintainer has kindly provided an updated udeb that supports
> modules generated by the latest binutils.  The images at
> http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/fixed-alpha-kernels/ have been updated
> as well, and verified to work.  Note that the only kernels available in
> the archive to be installed are still broken, so you can only use this
> for testing the new kernels, not really for installing a usable system
> sarge system.

Is the iso fixed as well? I used this
875051085ccfea30c88a7eb1edaa0c32  /scratch/zola/burn/cdrom-mini.iso

one from your site, and it looked quite buggy:

a)I quickly noted an error "unmounting /initrd failed"

b)For many, if not all, net-modules, I get a red warning box telling
  me, that modprobe -v NAME has failed, with NAME in via82cxxx, trm290,

c)Pressing Alt-Leftarrow, I see scrolling messages:
  tail /var/log/syslog: No such file or directory
  tail: no file

d)One console further, I see for every module load attempt:
  insmod: Unhandled relocation error of type 10 for .text
  (repeated several times)

  unresolved symbols
  insmod: faild to load NAME

e)The segfaults after selecting any network modules are still present

d)The language in the first run selecting network adapters is now
  german, but from the second round on is english

e)I cannot officially quit the installation: Selcting "none" as
  network adapters asks for a driver disk, which then brings me back to
  the selection of the adapter.

f)Since module loading did not work, and no aic7xxx module was present, I
  could not check if the fix provided there indeed works.

I got the kernel source from your site and will try building my own
kernel over the next days.

Greetings

       Helge

--