External USB Drives

Hi!

I have quite some trouble using USB (2.0) on my XP 1000.
Sometimes it recognices the connected Hardware, sometimes not.
Up to now I never managed to mount a medium. Debian at least
complains that ther ist no medium insterted if it recognices
the Drive.( yes it's an external DVD Rom )

I allreadey tried several Kernel configurations.
(most of them 2.4.2x Kernels) But nothing appears to help.
I use it with an PCI USB 2.0 Controler.
Does anybody of you allready had any success with such things?

CU

Wolfram