Re: Alpha PWS 433a and Adaptec AHA-294X Boot Blues

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Juhana Paavola wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2004, Gary Gale wrote:
>
> > So far, so good. However, when I boot the machine, either via the
> > JumpStart CD or via a floppy based linload->MILO boot configuration,
> > almost everytime the boot of the kernel hangs after the following
> > diagnostics ...
> >
> What MILO version you are using ?
> I got working MILO from SuSE's distro, version was something 2.2-17.

I'm not 100% sure; the version of MILO is the one that was packaged as
part of the JumpStart CD and that's version 1.4.1 which is the latest I
found on sourceforge.net. Having said that, that version was built back in
April 2001.

Is there any way I can find out the version number of MILO from MILO
itself?

> > The frustrating thing is that I _know_ this box is capable of running
> > Debian (even though only via the AlphaBIOS as the onboard SCSI adaptor
> > doesn't seem to be supported by the SRM) as I've seen it with my own two
> > eyes.
> >
> It should run, my PWS600 runs Debian/Linux right now.
>
> But, could there be some things with SCSI ?
> Termination ?
> I have seen that bad termination doesn't mean that WinNT doesn't work, it
> runs but may hang sometimes.
> And same config for Linux/Tru64 hangs at boot every time.

My SCSI knowledge is shaky; I know the principle of terminating devices
correctly and I've verified as much as I can that they're all physically
terminated - at least as much as I can.

I'm not sure where to go from here now ... :-)

Gary

--
"There are two major products that came out of Berkeley; LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."

BOFH Excuse #76: Unoptimised hard drive.

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()