Best way to stop X from starting?

Hi,

I've managed to hork up my srm based LX164 to the point where I can't do anything with it after it boots. I am 99.99% sure that it is a problem with X. It starts xdm, the screen flickers a few times and then it just freezes with a black (or really dark grey) screen. No mouse, no keyboard, no nothing.

I just recently added the BusID line to the Device section of my XF86Config-4 file since X definitely wasn't working without it. (Kept telling me that it couldn't find the device) Once I added that line, it briefly showed signs of life before going into this hang state.

I'm guessing that I can stop X from starting by moving the graphics card to a different PCI slot so that the x server wont find it, but is there another more elegant solution to stopping X? I can't get to a prompt so editing various files is not an option unless someone has some magic incantations I can mumble.

Thanks for any help.

- Rob