Re: problems with 2.4.2x on alpha.

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:18:21AM +0300, Jaakko Linnosaari wrote:
> Maciej Matysiak wrote:
> >thank you, i'll try that. could you please describe your storage setup?
> >i mean, what's connected to your scsi card (internal/external drives).
> >if i remember correctly, the problem which i have appears only when nothing
> >is connected to external scsi interface (i have only internal drives: two
> >disks and cd-rom). but i could be wrong, i can't find the message with
> >detailed description :( it was posted here not too long ago.

> Here's what kernel reports:

> ERROR: SCSI host `isp1020' has no error handling
> ERROR: This is not a safe way to run your SCSI host
> ERROR: The error handling must be added to this driver
> <... some trace info ...>
> qlogicisp : new isp1020 revision ID (5)
> scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on PCI bus 01 device 40 irq 36 I/O base 0x8000
>   Vendor: IBM       Model: IC35L018UWD210-0  Rev: S5BS
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: ATLAS10K2-TY184L  Rev: DA40
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 03
> SCSI device sda: 35843670 512-byte hdwr sectors (18352 MB)
> SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
>  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> sdb: Spinning up disk....................ready
> SCSI device sdb: 35860910 512-byte hdwr sectors (18361 MB)
> SCSI device sdb: drive cache: write back
>  sdb: sdb1
> Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
> Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0,  type 0

> I have the cd-rom on IDE. Dunno about the warnings; so far, so good.

Could you post the output of lspci on your system?

There seems to be a possibility that the problems most people are
running into on alphas are caused not by bugs in the drivers for
individual controllers, but by bugs in the PCI setup routines; so PCI
bridges may cause an otherwise functional card to fail.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer