Re: [OT] / on soft-raid1, disk labels

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:05:17AM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:25:35PM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > On Mit, 22 Sep 2004, Adrian Zaugg wrote:
> > > have to setup a boot partition, which is not on the raid and has bsd
> > > disklabels, and a root partition, which is on the raid and has pc-style
> > > disklabels (type fd). If I remember right, you cannot mix pc-style and bsd
> > > disklabels on one physical disk, so you need to have a separate physical
> > > bootdisk. Apart from that, it's the same as on a i386.
> >
> > Grmmm, well, complicated. Anyway, I will have to go for this, if nobody
> > else can contribute genius ideas.
>
> I gave up.  I can tell you that I tried all sorts of strange things
> and could not get RAID 1 working reliably on a disk with BSD disklabels.

I solved this by just using a separate boot disk with the aboot and the
kernel on it.  the remaining drives have PC partition tables that the
kernel happily sees the autodetect partitions on.

the kernel disk doesn't even need to be mounted or spun up once the
system is booted.  its just a bootstrap.

-g