Re: Miata MX, can't boot past 2.4.18

For some reason the CMD646 driver support (if I recall correctly, the source
code seems to indicate that it's a pretty messed up chipset) started to cause
problems on booting somewhere in the 2.4.20 revisions in the Debian kernels
(I think the message was something about lost IRQs).

I got my PWS500 to boot on 2.4.21 by compiling my own stock kernel and not
including any chipset specific IDE support.  I had to compile the IDE support
directly into the kernel as the makefile layout seems to have been all
changed around and now module support doesn't work.

The Debian 2.4.20 kernel that would boot (I think it was 2.4.20-3 or 2)
scrambled both of the IDE drives that I had hooked.  The stock 2.4.21
compiled without the CMD chipset support does not appear to have done so yet
(this isn't saying much as I haven't done much more than reformat the drives
and copy a couple of files back and forth *grin*).

Later -T

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe@uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                        Dept. of Applied Mathematics,