Re: Nothing like meaningful comments in samba config files...

Phil Carmody <thefatphil@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I notice that one of my x86 machines uses the RUN_MODE exactly as the comment
> says, i.e. to govern the behaviour of _both_ nmbd and smbd.

I checked the Debian Samba versions I have archived.
In 2.2.0.final-2, 2.2.3a-6 and 2.999+3.0cvs20020906-1,
/etc/init.d/samba doesn't start or stop anything if $RUN_MODE
is inetd (or $run_mode is from_inetd).  In 3.0.0beta1-1,
$RUN_MODE affects only smbd and not nmbd.  So I guess you just
have different versions of Samba in your alpha and x86 machines.

> Why is the RUN_MODE beign ignored for nmbd? At least the comment in the
> default/samba file should be changed to reflect the new somewhat inexplicable
> behaviour.

If that bothers you, I think you should file a bug on samba,
instead of complaining on an architecture-specific list.