PWS500au Mic

Hi,

I have a PWS500au, and i'm trying to get a microphone hooked up to it.
If i plug the mic on the side, or in back, i can hear the recording
through the speakers, but whenever i go to actually record something
wiht an app (like cat, or wavr), i get a blank wav file.  I've checked
the volumes, and they're set properly.

Is there something i should know about this?  Does the SB16 sound driver
not do the audio recording for this particular card?

Thanks,

Richard Fillion
rick@rhix.ods.org